GO Shared Services are providing Finance, Procurement, HR and Payroll services to Cotswold District Council, Cheltenham Borough Council, Forest of Dean District Council and West Oxfordshire District Council.
The successful launch of the Shared Service on 1 April 2012 was the result of almost two years of hard work across the local authority partners, which included:
- procuring the ERP software, purchasing the hardware;
- designing the way the ERP system functions;
- gaining ‘buy-in’ from politicians and other key stakeholders;
- establishing a robust IT link across the partners;
- determining which local authority partner would become the employing authority for the Shared Service;
- recruiting to the Shared Service management team;
- undertaking the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) negotiations between management and staff;
- testing and implementing the new system; and
- ensuring that users were trained in the use of the new system.
The Shared Service is also providing services to two clients – Cheltenham Borough Homes Ltd (Cheltenham Borough Council’s Arms Length Management Organisation) and Ubico Ltd (a local authority company owned by Cheltenham Borough Council and Cotswold District Council.) Both clients are using the ERP system for their back office functions. One of the strategic aims of the management team is to enable more users to come on board in the future.
What are the major benefits?
- Improved, user friendly systems
- Efficient and resilient service
- Cost savings